Sustainability at ONFC - Initiatives
DEMONSTRATING ONFC COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS:
“ONTARIO NATURAL FOOD CO-OP” PRIVATE LABEL
At Ontario Natural Food Co-op, we’re committed to contributing to a sustainable food system that supports our local Ontario economy and organic family community.
Our line of private label products under the Ontario Natural brand are produced in partnership with local Ontario growers and producers meeting today’s consumer demands – Buy Local, Naturally.
- Organically grown exclusively for the Ontario market
- Foods produced from local Ontario Farms
- Reduce food miles for a healthier environment
- Strengthen local economies
To see a full listing of Ontario Natural products click here.
NEW PRODUCT CRITERIA
We support products that are minimally processed or refined, certified organic and fair-trade, Canadian and local.
WE GIVE BACK
ONFC COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FUND
ONFC supports groups who have similar values and a vision to bring the message of sustainable food systems to the public. For more information please click here.
ONFC provides staff members with a green transit support payment. Each day a staff member does not drive a car to ONFC, they are compensated $2. Since the Eco-commute began in 2008, 7097 Eco-commute trips have been made to our location.
ONFC GREENING COMMITTEE
Our vision, ‘Living in a sustainable world from seed to plate’ is put to work at every level of our organization. Developed in 2009, The Greening Committee is comprised of 10 staff members representing all departments. Our goal is to expand and enhance sustainability throughout the company. We accomplish this by promoting internal and external information and education, via specific projects and initiatives.
Please view our mandate.
ONFC recognizes the energy intensive impact of paper production on the natural environment. Therefore, we have made a commitment to the ecologically responsible use of paper within our organization.
- ONFC catalogues are printed on Rolland 100 paper. Considered the best environmental choice on the market, it is 100% post-consumer fiber, FSC certified, processed chlorine free and manufactured using bio-gas energy.
- ONFC catalogues are printed with the Novavit 1 F 918 Supreme Bio Ink 9: an ink made with naturally replenishable vegetable oils which emit lower VOCs.
- We feature an environmental audit in each catalogue that tracks our paper footprint reductions.
MEMBER AND CUSTOMER INVOLVEMENT
- Cardboard boxes can be returned to ONFC for reuse. With the message “Please Return for Reuse” printed on every ONFC box we aim to reuse the maximum quantity of cardboard with the help of our community.
- For more ideas on getting involved click here
The Sustainability Scorecard Project will measure ONFC’s business sustainability with a triple bottom line: economic, social and environmental. This measurement will create a baseline from which initiatives can demonstrate their progress and effectiveness.
SMARTWAYTM CERTIFICATION & SMART DRIVER TRAINING
We have adopted a pro-active approach in helping our transportation partners increase their fuel efficiency. We are currently working on switching most of our shipments to carriers who have a SmartWayTM certification or Smart Driver training.
Please view the following links for more information:
We are proud to introduce our fleet of Prius Vehicles for our sales team. Complimented by the launch of our Hybrid Fresh Truck in 2011, ONFC continues to look for ways to minimize environmental impact of delivery and transport methods.
THE SPIRAL TABLE:
This project brings together members of the natural food industry in an exchange of knowledge, experience and ideas in ‘greening’ business operations and creating sustainable communities. ONFC is proud to be part of this group that co-operatively strives toward a more sustainable planet.
“Youth for Sustainability” is a Spiral Table project meant to engage Canadian youth in building a sustainable future. Please view the website for more information.