FAQ's - Buying Club
- What’s involved in running a Buying Club?
- Does it cost money to start up a club?
- Will having a Buying Club save me money?
- Do I have to buy by the case or in bulk?
- How often do I have to order?
- Do you deliver to my area?
- Is there a minimum order? Are there additional delivery fees?
- Are there any other rules or policies pertaining to the delivery location?
- How do I pay for my order? How long to I have to pay my invoice?
- How do I suggest a new product for ONFC to carry?
- How do I start a Buying Club?
Successful clubs need to have a leader, or a team of leaders. Usually a core group of members keeps the Buying Club on track. The leaders of a Buying Club ensure that all the work gets done, but they don't necessarily do it all themselves. Consider the following roles and tasks that must be covered for a Buying Club to function smoothly:
- A key position acting as liaison between ONFC and the members of the Buying Club
- Forwards important ONFC news to club members
- Develops a schedule for ordering, delivery, and pick-up
- Submits the individual orders from members as a master club order using our Online Ordering System
- Agrees to receive the delivery at their home
- Has a home that is accessible to the truck and safe for the driver to unload
- Has sufficient storage space, including freezer and fridge space
- Is present on the day of the delivery
- Verifies that all the boxes have been unloaded and signs for the goods
- Pays the driver if paying C.O.D. (cheque or money order)
- With the help of club member volunteers, unpacks the boxes and checks the food order against the invoice
- Divides the order into individual orders and stores freezer and fridge items
- Is present when members arrive to pick-up their orders, sometimes receiving cheques for the Treasure
- General troubleshooting, such as cleaning up small spills, explaining procedures to new members
- Supervises young children
- Totals the amount that each individual owes using our Online Ordering System
- Handles returns and credits
- Keeps records of credits and other bookkeeping issues
- Receives payment from the Pick-up Coordinator or directly from the members
- If paying COD, the Treasurer arranges to have a cheque for the full amount ready at the delivery location on the delivery day
- If not paying COD, the Treasurer arranges to get a cheque to the ONFC within seven days of the delivery
- Coordinates opening and managing of Buying Club bank account
You can mix and match the above roles and tasks to fit the needs of your Buying Club. It is very likely that one person will take on more than one role. And, it is likely and advisable that the roles are rotated so that all the members participate.
There is a one-time administrative fee of $10 charged per club upon submission of your application.
Yes, purchasing bulk and case only items saves the club money.
Yes, most items are full case only items with the exception of some bulk items which may be purchased as a single unit quantity.
Buying Clubs typically order every month to every second month. You should place at least one order per year to keep your account ‘Active’. Clubs that have not ordered for over a year are taken off the mailing list.
Please contact our Buying Club Rep for more information: 1-800-387-0354 ext. 228 or 905-507-2021 ext. 228. buyclub [at] onfc.ca
There are minimum orders. As long as these minimums are met, we do deliver free to most places in Ontario. In some cases, we will charge for delivery to help cover the costs of shipping.
Within Metro Toronto:
$500 minimum order
Outside Metro Toronto:
$500 minimum order if delivered by ONFC truck
Vary according to your location, please contact our Buying Club Rep for more information. 1-800-387-0354 ext. 228 or 905-507-2021 ext. 228. buyclub [at] onfc.ca
All orders less than $800 will be charged:
- a minimum 2% surcharge, depending on delivery location, which is calculated on the sales total.
- And, a minimum $25 handling fee, depending on delivery location.
Ottawa/Quebec, North Bay, & Georgian Routes:
A minimum $25 (plus tax) charge is levied on Buying Club orders on these routes in order to supplement the costs of delivery.
Freight charges for Common Carriers vary depending on your delivery location. Please contact ONFC to see what the charges are for your area.
Deliveries are to the main entrance only. Any assistance with carrying boxes is greatly appreciated.
Ensure that the unloading area is safe. If the location is dangerous (i.e., pathways that may be slippery), our driver has the right to refuse to deliver the order to the designated receiving area.
Be sure to count all the boxes with the driver and sign your receipt recording the ‘piece count.’
We do not guarantee a specific delivery time during the day.
We accept payment by:
- Cheque or money order handed to the ONFC driver or mailed within 7 days.
- Credit Card if you receive delivery via common carrier.
- Internet Bill Payment (Please contact our Buying Club Rep 1-800-387-0354 ext. 228 or 905-507-2021 ext. 228 buyclub [at] onfc.ca for more information)
We do not accept cash payments.
The first order for all Buying Clubs must be paid C.O.D. Full payment (by cheque or money order) and must be paid on the delivery day to the driver or directly to ONFC.
Subsequent orders must be paid for within 7 days. The ONFC reserves the right to ask for C.O.D. payment if the 7-day credit schedule is not met.
We are always looking for new and exciting products to add to our inventory. If you know of a good quality product you would like to see ONFC carry, please email our Buying Club Rep at buyclub [at] onfc.ca
Feel free to take a look at our Product Selection Criteria to get a better sense of the types of product ONFC is looking for.